Master in performing arts management
Conceived and organized by Accademia Teatro alla Scala in collaboration with the MIP Politecnico di Milano Graduate School of Business and the Piccolo Teatro di Milano–Teatro d’Europa, the Master in Performing Arts Management promotes stage arts as a fundamental social, political and economic asset, and live performances as a means for conserving and passing on to future generations a people’s cultural heritage and identity.
GLOBAL NETWORK: The partnership between Accademia Teatro alla Scala, MIP Politecnico di Milano Graduate School of Business and Piccolo Teatro di Milano provides students with the benefit of a solid and extensive international network of theatres, festivals and performing arts institutions. With guest speakers and experts from internationally renowned institutions, the master’s program offers the opportunity to learn the peculiarities of the performing arts sector on a global level through lectures, seminars and talks. Our faculty features preeminent professionals from the Berliner Philharmoniker, the DeVos Institute, the English National Opera, the Hong Kong Arts Festival, the Metropolitan Opera House, the Opéra de Rennes, Opera Europa, the Royal Opera House Covent Garden, the Stuttgart Opera, Royal Opera House Muscat, BBC Arts on line, Casa da Musica, School of Oriental and African Studies, Music Fund, Unesco, Grand Teatre del Liceu, Tourism and Cultural Authority Abu Dhabi, University of Zurich, WolfBrown.
OSMOSIS: Economics and culture are complementary in the performing arts. The primary aim of the master’s program is to forge fully rounded professionals with both managerial and artistic skills.
UNIQUENESS: The Accademia Teatro alla Scala has developed an educational methodology of the highest standard. Students are offered the exclusive and unique chance to fully “live” the experience of the Teatro alla Scala, working and learning in close contact with the Theatre’s top executive professionals.
TUTORING: The Master’s staff provides continuous guidance and orientation to students along their educational path and in their entry to the professional world.
LEARNING BY DOING: Our method gives priority to direct contact with the professional world. Internships at acclaimed Italian and foreign institutions are key features of our program. In particular, students of the first edition are actually guest at Teatro alla Scala, Metropolitan Opera New York, Opéra de Paris, Hong Kong Arts Festival, Piccolo Teatro di Milano, Opera-Europa, Fondazione Cariplo, Gulbenkian Foundation, Assessorato alla Cultura Comune di Milano, Auditori Barcelona, As.Li.Co, Ravello Festival, Fondazione I Teatri di Reggio Emilia, Teatro dell'Opera di Roma, Teatro di San Carlo di Napoli, Teatro Carlo Felice di Genova, Teatro Massimo di Palermo, Teatro Lirico Sperimentale "Adriano Belli" di Spoleto and many others.
» THE FLOOR TO THE STUDENTS
- To acquire a global vision of the international cultural sector, with a special focus on European, North American and emerging markets;
- To recognize the relevance of public cultural policies at the local and international level and the social impact of the performing arts;
- To understand the economics, regulation and organization of the performing arts industry;
- To study the impact of new technologies on the performing arts;
- To learn how to use marketing, project management and fundraising tools;
- To live the uniqueness of Italian cultural traditions and the extraordinary experience of the city of Milan;
- To learn by doing with field projects and internships at acclaimed Italian and international institutions.
CURRICULUM (program modules)
- Cultural policies, community engagement and education
- Theatre and festival as production models
- Economic sustainability and performance management
- Human resources and corporate organization
- Performing arts marketing
- Field project (Piccolo Teatro)
- Fundraising for the performing arts
- Negotiation skills
- Management and innovation for the performing arts
- International legal and regulatory framework
- Emerging markets
- Arts and crafts in the performing arts
- Supply chain management for the performing arts
The course is completed with an internship at an internationally acclaimed performance institute.
» THE FLOOR TO THE LECTURERS
» DETAILS 2017
- Candidates with a B.A. or equivalent who wish to pursue a career in the performing arts or cultural sector;
- Candidates with formal music, arts, or dance education who wish to acquire general knowledge of international cultural policies and develop their management and organizational skills;
- Candidates without a formal degree who have a minimum of 3 to 5 years working experience in any field and wish to pursue a career change. General knowledge of the nonprofit sector would be advantageous.
Duration: 18 months: January 2017 – June 2018
- January 2017 – May 2017: Intensive coursework | Attendance: 5 days per week, Monday through Friday, 6 hours a day
- June 2017 – April 2018: 3 to 6-month internship in a qualified performing arts institution in Italy or abroad
- April 2018: Project Work presentation
- June 2018: Graduation
Location: Accademia Teatro alla Scala | MIP Politecnico di Milano Graduate School of Business | Piccolo Teatro di Milano.
Language of Instruction: English (upper intermediate level or above). A fair knowledge of Italian is required. For admitted candidates only: English and Italian preparatory courses will be available on request.
How to apply: Enrollment takes place once a year with courses beginning every April.
Application deadlines: Non-EU citizens: October 30 (November 15 for NIAF Scholarship Applicants only); EU citizens: November 30.
Please, fill out the application form available through the MIP website and send the following documentation to your school contact:
- Copy of passport or European ID
- University transcript or equivalent
- English certificate (if available)
- Proof of payment of the admission fee (€80)
Once your admission form has been validated, one of the program directors will contact you via email to book an interview via Skype or at Accademia Main Building.
Applicants who are able to come to Milan may be interviewed in person at Accademia Teatro alla Scala.